[eepro100] anybody alive here ? Need experience with FEC

Schlomo Schapiro schapiro@mobileye.com
Sun Jan 6 10:23:01 2002

Hi,

maybe there just wasn't any traffic over the holdays ...

I am using a HP ProCurve 4000 switch. It specifically supports FEC. I made
some more experiments with assigning each server additional IPs to see
wether it would make a difference. The answer is no, it dosn't. It seems
that the switch distributes the packets according to the MAC address over
the trunk so that ALL packets from the same MAC will go over the SAME NIC
:-(. Actually the HP manual mentiones something similar in their
description of FEC.

I basically wanted to improve the bandwith between 2 servers (storage &
backup), but that doesn't seem to work. The idea was to not have buy
expensive & fast network cards (Gigabit).

Does anybody know wether trunking works if you connect to computers
directly with each other (2 NICs - 2 NICs) with FEC ? Will it give the
cumulative bandwith for a single connection ?

So long, still looking for other people with similar setups and worries
(and preferrably their solutions).

Regards,
Schlomo

PS: Mr. Becker, I gather that you are the author of the original eepro100
driver. Do you also have a hand with the Intel drivers ?

--
Schlomo Schapiro
Senior System Administrator

24 Mishol Hadkalim St.,97278 Jerusalem, Israel
Telephone:  + 972-2-586-6989 Ext. 131
Mobile:     + 972-55-767898
Fax:        + 972-2-586-7720

email: schapiro@mobileye.com