[eepro100] MTU more then 1500

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Dec 5 09:29:01 2002

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 03:13:50PM +0100,
>  Gerd Aschemann <gerd@aschemann.net> wrote
>  a message of 12 lines which said:
>
> > > is there a way to increase MTU to more then 1500? is it a harware or
> > > driver issue?
>
> It is a driver issue. I did not try the following patch but it seems
> simple:
>
> http://www.candelatech.com/~greear/vlan/cisco_howto.html#targ3

That page has evil, evil patches done by people that Did Not Quite
Understand.

The eepro100 patch just removes the length limit.  That opens up huge
holes for buffer overflows, denial of service and crashing the machine.

Go ahead and apply it to your own machine, but please never distribute
the patches or the resulting drivers.

[[ Yes, this upsets me: irresponsible patches like these make it into
the kernel all of the time.  Especially with 100 people saying "it works
for me".  If changing that single bit in the configuration table was a
good idea, don't you think that I would have done it?  ]]