[eepro100] mdio_read() timed out

Kevin Hansard Kevin.Hansard@iplbath.com
Wed Dec 4 10:32:23 2002

Hi,

I have a RH7.3 system. I have installed 3 Intel Dual Port Pro/100+ cards. I am using 5 of the interfaces, though all are lightly loaded. When I install the latest driver v1.26 11/17/2002 I start to see lots of the following error in /var/log/messages:

kernel:  mdio_read() timed out with val = 08210000.

I still seem to be able to communicate properly over the network. However I assume that this error means I do have some kind of problem.

Having done a web search, other instances of this error seem to be accompanied by another kernel error, however in my case I have no other errors being reported.

I have also tried the v1.20 1/28/2002 version of the driver and this has the same problem. If I roll back to the stock RH driver v1.09j-t 9/29/99 everything works ok and no errors are reported.

Help and advice appreciated. What does this error really mean? Is the val = 08210000 meaningful, it is always the same value reported.

Thanks

Kevin