[eepro100] About eepro "out of resources" bug

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:57:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Joseph Kulig wrote:

> Alexander Gdalevich wrote:
> > It does not look like eepro100.c from Scyld, nor fxp_if for FreeBSD, nor
> > e100 from Intel.  BTW, is it written in C++ !?  Also, how often do you see
> > this happening?
> This device driver is written in Java. It is part of a pure object
> oriented OS that is written in Java. This pure Java OS is currently
> ported to the Strongarm and Xscale processor platforms.

> /*
>  * Copyright (c) 2001 WebSprocket LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You should correct this statement.
This code is directly drived in structure, naming and text of comments
from eepro100.c, and thus should retain the original authorship and
copyright notice.  I'm not too upset, since you are keeping it under
the GPL.

Note that gradually rewriting the code does not remove it from being
legally considered a derived work -- to break the relationship you must
do a new implementation from scratch.

Two other minor points while I'm on copyright notice issues
   - "(c)" has no legal meaning.  Even 15 years ago, when it might have
     been useful, you either had to use the correct "circle-C" graphic
     or spell out "Copyright".
   - "all rights reserved" is contradicted by the license immediately
     below.  The Berne Convention states that works are "born" with copy
     rights reserved to the author.

Everything changed with the U.S. adoption of the Berne Convention.  Not
to be too US-centric, but the U.S. acceptance of this European ruleset
was the turning point for unified world-wide copyright rules.

>  * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
>  * it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public License as published
>  * by the Free Software Foundation. (see COPYING.LIB)
>  *
>  * WEBSPROCKET MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ABOUT

Pointless, as the GPL covers this, but harmless.

You'll want to clean the attribution up before registering your work,
Disclaimer: Please consider this information, I am not providing legal advice.