[eepro100] suspend problem with eepro100 on Dell Inspiron (fix)

Marcel van der Goot vdgoot@earthlink.net
Fri, 11 May 2001 14:00:07 -0700

Several people had problems with the ethernet card (eepro100 driver) on
the Dell Inspiron 4000, namely that it stopped working after a
suspend-resume cycle. The same problem occurs with the modem, which is
part of the same card. (Dell refers to this card as "Mini-PCI 56K+10/100";
it is made by ActionTec.) (The Inspiron 8000 reportedly has the same problem.)

Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com> diagnosed the problem as
> The problem seems to be that the PCI bus bridge settings are not being
> restored.  This should be done by the APM BIOS call for on-board
> devices.
>
> The pci-scan code can re-activate the device, but the not the bridge.
> One solution is to write a bridge driver that saves and restores the
> mapping registers.

This was indeed the case (thanks!): some configuration information of the
bridge gets corrupted during a suspend-resume (namely, the specification of
which address range corresponds to the devices behind the bridge). In
addition, the configuration information of the ethernet and modem devices
themselves gets corrupted as well.

I didn't have the time to write a proper driver to correct this, but
instead wrote a short program, pci-saveconfig, that can save and restore
the configurations. I've set up apmd to do this automatically, and
ethernet and modem now work correctly across suspend-resume cycles. You
can download the files from
http://home.earthlink.net/~vdgoot/inspiron/actiontecfix.tar.gz

-Marcel

--
Marcel van der Goot                            vdgoot@earthlink.net
Independent computer consultant                      (626) 792-6619

-- computer languages - systems programming - vlsi design - user interfaces --