[eepro100] Multiple eepro100 cards: specific order

Michael McConnell soruk@eridani.co.uk
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:22:29 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Adrian Yee wrote:

> Michael,
>
> You can try adding:
> append="pci=reverse"
> to your lilo.conf (that's if you use lilo).  I'm not 100% sure if it'll
> work, but I use it so it makes the kernel scan my pci bus in reverse to
> make my Promise controller hda/b/c/d instead of the onboard controller.
> Of course this won't work too well if you have lots of nics and want to
> remap them in funky orders :)

Thanks :) I tried this one earlier today... but unfortunatly whatever I tried
didn't work.  The reason for all this being.. the firewall boxes have
multiple NICs (2 eepro100s: one onboard, one PCI; one 4port starfire card)
for the different zones, and the idea being is to get it in such a way that
the ports come up in a specific order so an engineer fitting the firewall to
a customer's network knows that socket is the internet link, that one is the
DMZ etc...

I managed to get this to work when replacing the PCI eepro100 for a 3c59x
card, but unfortunately it appears not to be "commercially viable" (don't
ask, I don't understand that either ;) but I can't get the eepro100 ports to
come up in a specific order.

For this implementation the Powers That Be have decided that a kernel hack is
not to be used....

-- Michael