[eepro100] Multiple eepro100 cards: specific order

rjd@xyzzy.clara.co.uk rjd@xyzzy.clara.co.uk
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:48:08 +0100 (BST)

Michael McConnell wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Graham Wooden wrote:
>
> > Doesn't it go by the what the PCI bus scan says?
> > I have it both ways, where the on-board and the NIC would be swapped (an
> > Intel 440BX and a 440FX).
>
> Okay... is there any way to get the PCI bus to scan in a different order?

Ok I posted this to one of the LUGs on a similar subject recently. Seems
relevent.

] Allocation is dependant on the driver, most use "PCI slot order" when they
] find cards of the same type. Beware "slot order" does not always follow an
] obvious mechanical sequence or match any numbering on the outside of your
] box. If you realy have to know the order check your motherboard carefully
] and then still be prepared to be wrong.
]
] To further complicate matters the default PCI search pattern has changed
] between 2.2.x and 2.4.x kernels. Under 2.2.x drivers that supported multiple
] cards with different PCI IDs would search for each ID over all slots in
] turn, whilst under 2.4.x each slot is searched for all IDs. That last is
] as clear as mud, try the following pseudo code:
]
] 2.2.x   for each PCI ID driver supports
]             for each slot in machine
]                 check if slot has card with that ID
]
] 2.4.x   for each slot in machine
]             for each PCI ID driver supports
]                 check if slot has card with that ID
]
] Upgrade you kernel and your cards could be renumbered!

Upgrade to 2.4.x and the built in might become eth0 if builtins use a lower
slot/bus number than physical slots.

Alternativly if you're on 2.2.x and the builtin has a different PCI_DEVICE_ID
from the cards you could change the ordering in pci_tbl[] in eepro100.c and
rebuild.

Better yet fix the dumb software that has a dependancy on a particular
interface mapping to eth0 :-)

HTH
--
	Bob Dunlop                      FarSite Communications
	rjd@xyzzy.clara.co.uk           bob.dunlop@farsite.co.uk