[eepro100] Intel 815EFV

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:48:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Alf wrote:

> 	Some quick background. My company (in Singapore) is developing
> thin client solutions for kiosk-based systems. We were previously using
> the Intel 815EEAL, which is now EOL (End of Line) [This board works 100%
> with no problems with the eepro100 drivers]

Yup, existing chip.

> 	The network interface is acting up though. (I've tested the 2.2.19
> kernel eepro100, 2.4.6 eepro100, and the ftp.scyld.com's v1.15 drivers,
> all the *same* results)

Intel claims that it's fully backwards compatible with the previous
chips...

> 	One observation is that on cold boot and the network interface is
> not working, the output of ifconfig shows 0 RX packets, but many TX
> packets. (I usually use ping to test, when it does not work, i get zero
> replies, and the arp tables are incomplete, RX never increases)
> 	And for v1.15, the General self-test and Serial sub-system
> self-test will *FAIL* when it's cold booting.

That's *very* curious -- I've not see this happen before.

> 	Note that this happens only on linux. The windows drivers works
> fine on the first boot,etc... *grrr*

Intel writes the Windows driver.  Of course it has the fixes for the
bugs that they don't admit to.  It takes us weeks to figure out the bugs
and how to work around them.

What does eepro100-diag report when the interface isn't working?
Are there any log messages?