[eepro100] Problem configuring for Linux and Road Runner cable modem

Gary Nielson gnielson@charlotte.infi.net
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 21:40:01 -0400 (EDT)

I am running a Valinux Redhat 6.2 system with kernel 2.2.14-5.0.14b. My
NIC card is a PCI Intel EEPro 100. I cannot get a dhcp connection to work;
I get the message: "Determining IP information for eth0
... failed" whenever I restart the network.

I know my EEPro 100 works, it works great when connected via cross over
cable to another PC I have. The lights on the cable modem show a
connection to the PC, and when starting up my network, I can see the Data
transfer light on the modem blink on and off several times before
I get the message that attempts failed.

I am using pump. I am using a straight through cable, but the LED lights
on the NIC show only the first one on and it is yellow. I am assuming this
is correct.

According to Intel's site, the two lights are:

        ACT/ON
        100Mb

If the first light is on, that means the adapter is seated correctly and
correctly senses a network adapter on the other end of the cable.  If that
light is flashing, then the card is sending and receiving data.

If the second light is on, then the adapter established a 100Mb connection
with the other network adapter.

So I figure I would expect only the first light to be on.

Do I need to reconfigure my eepro somehow? Has anyone encountered similar
problems and how did you resolve it? I have tried shutting down both cable
modem and PC and rebooting both, without success. Is it pump that is the
problem?

Any advice or tips much appreciated.

 -- Gary Nielson gary@garynielson.com