[eepro100] problem with Debian woody freeze (possibly eepro 100 problem)

Faheem Mitha faheem@email.unc.edu
Sun Dec 23 12:35:01 2001

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, Donald Becker wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, David Lambert wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 23 December 2001 08:17 am, Donald Becker wrote:
> >
> > > This detail pretty clearly points to a hardware problem.  A driver
> > > shouldn't be able to hang the machine in such a way that the power
> > > switch doesn't work.
> > I only have limited knowledge in this ares, but couldn't this happen if the
> > power switch was intercepted by ACPI?
>
> Yes, the ACPI suspend signal might be handled by the OS power management
> code.  But the 4 second override (soft power off, vs. suspend from a
> momentary press) should be handled by the hardware.

Holding it in for 4 seconds works. Just pushing it in does not. Does that
mean that it *is* related to ACPI (whatever that is)? Please see my other
message. Sorry about the misinformation.

                               Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.