[eepro100] PRO/100 S Dual Port Adapter - advanced features?

Christian =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sch=F6niger?= christian.schoeniger@fes-aes.de
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:23:04 +0200

Donald Becker schrieb:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Christian Schoeniger wrote:
>
> > Are the advanced software features of the Intel® PRO/100 S
> > Dual Port Server Adapter like
> > - adapter fault tolerance
> > - adaptive load balancing
> > - ieee 802.3ad link aggregation
>
> These are not features of the adapter, they are features above the
> device driver level.  In the Microsoft world they are usually bundled
> with the device driver only in order to differentiate the more expensive
> products.  There is nothing wrong with that, but that marketing approach
> has led people to believe that they somehow require unique hardware
> support.

in case of these software features you are rigth, but as i understands
the
ieee 802.3ad standard its something between MAC and LLC which handels
incoming packets with multiple MAC-addresses in one group to merge it to
single data stream and determines which MACs are active for sending ...
IMHO this should be done by the driver.

i'm searching for a way to built a dual-homed server attached to 2
switches
to provide fault tolerancy on data link layer so that the servers ip
address
is reachable even if one link fails.
can you point me to a place where i can find information about that ?

Christian Schoeniger
Systembetreuung

   FES GmbH - Fahrzeug-Entwicklung Sachsen
   AES GmbH - Auto-Entwicklungsring Sachsen
   Crimmitschauer Straße 59
   D-08058 Zwickau

   phone:   +49 375 56 60-254
   fax:     +49 375 21 38 34