[eepro100] Performance improvement.

Robbie Dinn robbie@microbus.co.uk
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:32:20

Hi

Regarding interrupts and packet through put.
One of the engineers at the firm I work at discovered that
you can get better through put an Intel architecture linux box
with multiple 82559 NIC's if you arrange that the NIC's
share an interrupt line with each other.

This seemed a bit counter intuitive to me.

Can anyone else confirm this?

The particular setup we had was a machine with two NIC's
acting as a bridge, transferring packets from the first NIC
to the second NIC and vice versa.

With separate interrupt lines for each NIC, we got different
through put depending on which direction
we were sending the (one way) traffic through the
bridge i.e. there was an asymmetry.

With the two NIC's sharing one interrupt the through put
was the same for each direction i.e. symetrical.

Here is what I think may be happening.

The interrupt lines have different priorities. I think the
order goes something like
highest 0, 1, (2 missing), 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 lowest

Some how the interrupt priorities causes one card get it's interrupts
to be serviced more quickly, while the other card drops packets?

Does this make sense?