[eepro100] Re: system hangs @ boot-time when bringing up eth0

Andrey Savochkin saw@saw.sw.com.sg
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 12:17:59 +0800

Hello,

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 12:48:28PM +0000, Wats Hudgins wrote:
[snip]

> whudgens@localhost src]$ gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet
> -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c eepro100.c `[ -f
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`
> In file included from /usr/include/linux/string.h:37,
>                  from eepro100.c:111:
> /usr/include/asm/string.h:50: parse error before `size_t'
> /usr/include/asm/string.h: In function `strncpy':
> /usr/include/asm/string.h:51: number of arguments doesn't match prototype
> /usr/include/linux/string.h:13: prototype declaration
> /usr/include/asm/string.h:65: `src' undeclared (first u
>

> As i recall, whenever I had parse errors from #include files, it usually
> meant that I was doing something pretty foolish/stupid.

:-)
I suppose, the reason of the problem is a bad path to include files.
You need an unpacked and configured (make config; make dep) kernel to pass
its include directory as the include path.

The error-prone way to recompile the driver is to replace the driver in
drivers/net subdirectory of your kernel source tree by the new one and run
`make modules'.

Best regards
					Andrey V.
					Savochkin