[eepro100] eepro100 and large packets

Philip E. Varner pev5b@cs.virginia.edu
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:14:58 -0500 (EST)

Where I work, our newest servers have eepro100 NICs.  They're running
kernel 2.2.14.  Our primary application uses packets 65000 bytes in length
for communication.  However, when sending large packets like this,
performance plummets at a packet size of around 64,590 bytes.  Below this,
I get minimal packet loss, but above this it jumps to around 50-70%
_loss_.

I've tried this on other machines (de4x5 driven) on the same switch and it
doesn't happen.  Has anybody seen this before?

Phil Varner

--
"We have fewer and fewer excuses for ignoring or being indifferent or
sloganizing the very serious and in many ways growing injustices