[eepro100] Re: problem with manual speed setting

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:47:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Kallol Biswas wrote:

>   I am having a problem with manual speed setting at 100Mbps.
> The lancard(82559) on the IA-box is connected to one of the ports on the
> HP switch.
> The port on the switch is configured as autonegotiation capable.
>
> When the system boots up the card auto negotiates the speed and mode
> to 100Mbps/full duplex. At this point if the speed is manually set to
> 100Mbps full/half duplex, every thing works fine, also speed can be set to
> 10Mbps full/half duplex. The problem is, once the speed is set to 10mbps
> it can't be set back to 100Mbps. Subsequent read from MDI status
> register returns link down. However if autonegotiation is enabled,
> the card goes back to 100Mbps/full duplex.

What driver version are you using?
The v1.12 driver changes the behavior when using the MII ioctl() to force
the speed and duplex.

> Any idea what the problem might be? It seems that the card does
> not change speed from 10Mbps to 100Mbps.

Are you are using 'mii-diag -F 100baseTx' to set the speed from forced
10Mbps to forced 100Mbps?
It may be that 'mii-diag' will have to reset the transceiver when making
this change.  What is transceiver type is reported in the detection message?