[eepro100] Fwd: Compile-time problems with the newest eepro d river

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:12:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Estes, Matthew wrote:

> Regardless, now I believe I have it compiled into the kernel and load it as
> a module (through that module dependecy file) and everything works fine...
> except for Timed Out errors, but I'll address those in another thread.

What errors?

The only fix in v1.12 works around what appears to a bug in certain '559
chips that causes the machine to hang when the interface is first started.
This problem does not occur when the driver is compiled with -DUSE_IO_OPS.

Note: I/O operations do not go through the write buffer, and thus have
slightly slower timing.  The '559 only has one documented timing
requirement, and that's a brief delay after triggering a reset.  So this
problem really looks like a hardware bug.

> So, does this fix you described address what I originally experienced as
> well?

The fix is only for linking pci-scan.o into the kernel.
It does nothing if pci-scan.o is loaded as a module.