[eepro100] Re: wait_for_cmd_timeout (and other errors) on 1.20.2.10

Andrey Savochkin saw@saw.sw.com.sg
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 19:52:06 +0800

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 12:02:18PM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:
> jpranevich@lycos-inc.com wrote:
[snip]
> > Is there a newer driver that you would recommend that I try? Is this a known
> > issue with this driver? Is it something odd with the hardware? (Doubtful because

Yes, it's a known issue.
I hope it'll be fixed sooner or later.
Meanwhile, 2.2.17 kernel should contain a temporary workaround, and Intel's
driver and Donald's one (http://scyld.com) don't show this problem.

> > the Intel driver comes up fine.)
>
> IM(ns)HO, the "stock" Linux driver is hopelessly buggy.  I've seen these
> sorts of errors quite a number of times, as well as innumerable "Card
> reports no resources" errors.  I can generally make any Intel eepro100
[snip]
> I've brought the subject up of these problems on this list a couple of
> times recently, usually to an answer of something along the lines of "If
> the driver doesn't work for you, install a different one."  I can
> recreate the errors at will, but they don't seem to be "true bugs" for
> some reason or another.  I've given up trying to find a "real" solution
> to the problem, no offense to anyone involved, we just don't seem to be
> meet a common ground where I believe that having a machine-crashing
> buggy driver in the stock kernel is a big deal, but others don't...

Derek, I explained the issue several times over mailing lists and personally
to you.
I've spent almost a dozen weekends sitting at the computer trying to come up
with the real solution, but haven't succeded so far.
I don't understand your attitude.
You have already switched to another version of the driver.
Linux packagers like RedHat may apply any fix or workaround from the
available ones.  The mainstream kernel already contains a workaround.
What else inside human's abilities do you want to be done? :-)

Regards
		Andrey