What settings for a large load?

Kevin Mills kmills@aventail.com
Fri May 5 11:12:14 2000

> I doubt that it's a driver problem.
> Check more careful what happens on other layers of the system.
> Doesn't the kernel consider your traffic as a SYN-flood attack?
> Check by tcpdump why connections are reset.  If really the client
> sends RST
> packet?

What would tell me if Linux considers itself under attack?  Are there
settings in the kernel I should tweak?  I don't see any kernel messages in
my logs indicating anything.  And why would SunOS be happy with the same
simulation?  I can certainly turn on my sniffer, but it is hard to read it
with so much traffic :)

> Check you client, too.  Doesn't it do some insane things?
> E.g. does it really calls connect(), sends/receives the data and
> closes the
> connection?  Or works just on packet level, thus, likely, disabling flow
> control etc?

The clients are doing normal socket operations.  Each client calls
connect(), send(), recv() and then pauses 250 milliseconds.  It then does 20
more send()/recv() calls and then disconnects, pauses 250 milliseconds and
starts over at the top with a connect().  Not too insane, I don't think.

> Your situation isn't a matter of settings.  It a problem somewhere.

Again, my Sun box has no troubles with the simulation so it must be a matter
of settings *somewhere*.  For instance, I was receiving 'eth0 reports no
more resources' from the driver until I increased the FIFO settings.
Perhaps the issue isn't all at the driver level, but I would expect Linux to
be able to handle this load; wouldn't you?

Any suggestions as to how to make this work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!