What does this mii-diag output mean?

richard@iguana.co.nz richard@iguana.co.nz
Tue Mar 7 23:00:17 2000

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Sarah James wrote:

> I'm having a hard time deciphering this output from mii-diag. The numbers
> don't match what is given in
> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/diag/mii-status.html
>
> Here it is:
>
> Basic registers of MII PHY #1:  3000 782d 02a8 0154 05e1 40a1 0001 0000.
> Basic mode control register 0x3000: Auto-negotiation enabled.
> You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
> Your link partner advertised 40a1: 100baseTx 10baseT.
>
> The mode of the network we're connected to is supposed to be a 10MB full
> duplex.
>
> Does this output confirm that our Intel eepro sees this and is configured
> correctly?

Well, I can confirm for one thing that if it detects as 100mbit and your
network is only 10, it won't work at all :) So if you're suffering packet
loss or slow connectivity, this is not the problem. Full/Half duplex I
have not really encountered, and certainly that information doesn't appear
to define whether you're on duplex or not, but I suspect that unless
you're not recieving/transmitting anything at all then your auto detection
has worked fine.

At least in my experience, I am by no means a definitive answer on such
issues, I fiddle until they work :)

Richard.