eepro100: can't use tcpdump/promiscuous mode

richard@iguana.co.nz richard@iguana.co.nz
Tue Mar 7 17:38:28 2000

> Hello, list gurus!
>
> The systems in question range from a Pentium P150 from 1997 to a P2-450
> initially deployed with a 10 MB card last June.  All have the same problem.
> And yet my 10MB NE2000-compatibles (Redhat 5.2) work fine.
>
> I've searched the beowulf eepro100 archives as well as Deja's Usenet
> archive, and can't locate a single report of this problem.  So I'm
> wondering if I'm either missing something obvious or expecting something
> the EtherExpress Pro can't do.
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can give me ...

Hmm. Working fine on my machine, but I have seen this before, and not just
with eepro NICs. You may wish to try ifconfig eth0 promisc or equivalent
once you've started tcpdump, see if that helps.

Richard