Problems with Intel board in a high volume web site

Sarah James sarahjames@home.com
Mon Mar 6 21:51:28 2000

We have just installed two new servers in our web site. One is a page server
and the other is a database server. The database server is connected through
a eepro 100 to the pageserver. The pageserver has two eepro 100's - one to
the internet and the second to the database server.

We are using the drivers available in Debian Linux 2.2.14

Here are the boot up messages on the page server- (eth0 connects to the
internet via a 10MB/s connection - eth1 is the connection to the database
server at 100MB/s).

eth0: Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 at 0xb800, 00:D0:B7:1F:F9:98, IRQ 15.
  Receiver lock-up bug exists -- enabling work-around.
  Board assembly 721383-008, Physical connectors present: RJ45
  Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #1.
  General self-test: passed.
  Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
  Internal registers self-test: passed.
  ROM checksum self-test: passed (0x04f4518b).
eth1: Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 at 0xb400, 00:D0:B7:1F:F4:27, IRQ 10.
  Receiver lock-up bug exists -- enabling work-around.
  Board assembly 721383-008, Physical connectors present: RJ45
  Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #1.
  General self-test: passed.
  Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
  Internal registers self-test: passed.
  ROM checksum self-test: passed (0x04f4518b).

Everything worked well during testing. When we placed them in service,
everything was fine until the server load picked up. We started experiencing
packet losses of between 20 and 30% combined between the gateway and our
server. There are no problems between the database server and the page
server. We did some experimenting  - all the errors stopped if we moved the
server to a different IP (with no traffic) - and started as soon as we moved
it back again. Our ISP says its our network card. We think its their gateway
can't handle the traffic... hmmm.

Questions:
1) Is the driver in the debian build different from
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html

Any comments on the driver available directly from Intel?
http://support.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/e100-1.0.0.htm

2) any ideas on what is causing this?

TIA