[eepro100] Home made 82559ER NIC crash or hang linux 2.2.5-15

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:16:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Jiahua Wang wrote:

> I have a home made 82559ER pci card which has two
> 82559ER's and another pci device, total three pci
> devices behind an intel/dec 21152 pci bridge. All
> pci diagnostic tool tell me the card is fine.
>
> When I repeat following commands several times
> >ifconfig eth1 down
> >ifconfig eth1 hw ether 00:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

Presumably you only set six octets/bytes of address ;->.
As long as the first byte doesn't have the multicast bit set, there
shouldn't be anything damaging done by setting the station address.  This is
a defined, supported operation.

The only tricky operation is changing the station address while the
interface is UP and the chip is operating.  Doing that creates many
problems, and is so rare that few drivers support it.  (I claim that it's
never needed.)

> >ifconfig eth1 up
> it will crash the system

What driver version?  What kind of crash?

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403