[eepro100] Re: [vortex] True on TRANSMIT ERROR TIMEOUT

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:02:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Daniel Soto Alvarez wrote:

> >I'd recommend AGAINST using switches. The unfortunate, and frustrating
> >reality is the many Ethernet NICS do NOT work well with switches when the
> >NIC is set to something OTHER than autonegotiation (like, set to
> >100BASE/half-duplex). Intel has acknowledged that they can replicate this
> >problem and so far, have some rational hypothesis for why it happens.
>
> Please, You think is possible to make eepro100 NIC driver forced to
> 100MB/HD?
>
> -----8<-------FROM: http://www.scyld.com/network/eepro100.html -----8<----
> In most cases no transceiver override option need be set. A notable
> exception is when connecting to a older ethernet switch that operates in
> full-duplex mode but does not do NWay autonegotation. The driver options
> flags are recognized:
>
>  Hex   Decimal  Meaning
>  0x10  16	Force Full-Duplex operation (must be used with 0x20 or 0x40)
>  0x20  32	Force 100mbps-only operation
>  0x40  64	Force 10mbps-only
>
> Where are the 100MB/Half-Duplex option?

Use the 100Mbps setting.  Ethernet is half duplex.

The only time "full duplex" has a standards-based definition is with
autonegotiation.  A switch that does forced-full-duplex is operating outside
the Ethernet standard(!).

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Annapolis MD 21403