[eepro100] Does eepro100 support Load Balancing Feature forIntel PRO/100 fa mily under LINUX OS?

Gerd v. Egidy egidy@deam.de
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:17:18 +0200

> > Subject: [eepro100] Does eepro100 support Load Balancing Feature for Intel
>     PRO/100 fa mily under LINUX OS?
> > Does eepro100 support Load Balancing Feature for Intel PRO/100
> > family under LINUX OS?
>
> Load balancing, AKA channel bonding or channel aggregation, should not be a
> function of the driver.  We commonly channel bond with various adapter
> types, and I've even bonded 10Mbps and 100Mbps channels just to verify
> that it would work.

I've heard that this currently doesn't work the way you expect it under Linux:
You get two net devices (eg. eth0 and eth1) and set up a special balance routing
through both of them. Then you have to apply a patch which causes the kernel to
delete the routing cache after every packet.
The result is a poor performance because of the patch.

I think i heard of a eepro100 driver from Intel which contains this feature but bound
to the driver and not usable for all adapter types. This driver lacks a bit of
performance compared to the standard eepro100 driver for linux.

Donald, can you confirm this information or is this just rumors or outdated?

Regards,

Gerd