InBusiness 10/100

Dusty Jones dustacio@austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 23 22:16:43 2000

For anybody interested in using the inexpensive and readily available
InBusiness 10/100 with the EEPRO100 linux driver this is what I was able
to do to make it work. There is probably a better way (but I wanted to
get on the internet as fast as possible)

Leo Hourvitz wrote...
> I'm in about the same boat as Angel -- I went looking for an eepro100 but all
> I could find was this new inBusiness 10/100 card.  I've had the same symptoms
> as Angel reports; I'm on RedHat 6.2 (kernel 2.2.12-20)...  From looking
> around on the Intel website at
> http://support.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/21397.htm it looks
> like the inBusiness uses the 82559 chipset, but doesn't have the management
> features of the higher-end cards.  Of course, there's no information anywhere
> about how it's different...  I'm wondering the same thing as Angel, whether I
> should give up and look for another NIC.

I'm having success using the Intel InBusiness 10/100 with a slightly
modified version of the EEPRO100 driver, ver j as module, on a RedHat
6.0 system with kernel version: 2.3.29

The standard version of the EEPRO100 driver will not detect the
InBusiness card because Intel used a PCI id of 10308086 for the
InBusiness card versus the 10298086 id for the EEPRO100 card.

Looking at /proc/pci will most likely show that your InBusiness card was
not recognized. I was able to modify these files to make it detect the
card.

/usr/src/linux/drivers/pci/pci.ids
to make proc/pci know what cards are installed
not strictly necessary (maintainer was notified)
line 3239
        1030 82557 [InBusiness 10/100]

/usr/include/linux/pci_ids.h
line 1059
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_82559        0x1030

eepro100.c (ver j)
line 302
    {"82559 InBusiness 10/100",
      { 0x10308086, 0xffffffff,} SPEEDO_IOTYPE, SPEEDO_SIZE,
      0, speedo_found1 },

line 320
    {"Intel PCI InBusiness 10/100",
      0x8086, 0x1030, 0xfff, PCI_USES_IO|PCI_USES_MASTER, 32,
speedo_found1 },

line 555
    if (pcibios_find_device(PCI_VENDER_ID_INTEL,
                            PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_82559,
                            pci_index, &pci_bus,
                            &pci_device_fn))