Compile Command differences

Scott Tyson tysons@deepwell.com
Sat Feb 26 21:33:00 2000

Greetings -

In my confused wanderings to upgrade my driver I have a question.
Kernel 2.2.14 compiles drivers differently than is recommended by
Donald Becker in his driver.
Could this have something to do with some of the instability in
people's driver?   I have always compiled my drivers with make modules
and then make modules_install.
Some have suggested to not do this and install the newest driver using
Donald's compile command.  I guess I'm not sure which one is better.
Here is how kernel 2.2.14 is compiling the driver on a 686 machine.
One Note.  The -mpentiumpro command is custom for my kernel compile.
The default for the kernel is to use -m486.
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing
-D__SMP__ -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -mpentiumpro -malign-loops=2
-malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=686 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS
-include /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/modversions.h   -c -o
eepro100.o eepro100.c
Donald's command from the 1.06 driver is:
gcc -D__SMP__ -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c eepro100.c `[ -f
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`

Some of the big things I noticed are the cpu specific commands
-mpentiumpro and -DCPU=686 and the .  I have no idea how these effect
the driver.
I'm tossing this to the list to see if differences in how one compiles
the driver could effect its performance and stability.

Scott Tyson
tysons@deepwell.com  ICQ#: 125581
http://rand.deepwell.com/