DMA and cache coherency ???

Jes Sorensen Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch
Fri Feb 11 04:53:58 2000

>>>>> "Stuart" == Stuart Adams <sja@brightstareng.com> writes:

Stuart>  We are trying to get the 82559ER Linux driver working on our
Stuart> non-x86 embedded system. How is the issue of cache coherency
Stuart> handled ? I did not see anything in the driver to address
Stuart> this. Since the 82559 will DMA data directly to memory, one
Stuart> needs to invalidate the cache lines associated with the memory
Stuart> buffers used by the 82559 correct ???

Depends on whether your system is cache coherent or not. The
8255[7-9] driver is written for PCI which is cache coherent.

Jes