[eepro100] GD82559ER custom board w/o EPROM.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:44:23 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Bjorn Eriksson wrote:

> > >  Say we were to add a serial EPROM to our design, what values
> > > should we put into it?
> >
> > The real 82557/58/59 manuals (not the online document!) has the EEPROM
> > content description.
>
>  The PDF I've got does describe the general layout of the EEPROM and goes
> into details for the 0xA word but doesn't describe words 0x3-0x9. I've
> plugged the data Christopher gave my (thanks Christopher) but this doesn't
> really change things 'cept the driver now realises that only a RJ45
> connector is available and it stopped metioning a "Secondary interface chip"
> what ever that is.

That's a second transceiver.
I don't know of a board that has one, but the EEPROM format supports it.

>  I still can't make it pass the self-test [which is again mentioned in
> passing in the PDF - no details as to how it works...] :
> <quote>
>   The PCI BIOS has not enabled the device at 0/160!  Updating PCI command
> 0001->0005.
> eth0: OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet at 0x180, FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, IRQ 0.
>   Receiver lock-up bug exists -- enabling work-around.
>   Board assembly 668081-004, Physical connectors present: RJ45
>   Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #1.
> Self test failed, status ffffffff:

This usually means that the card is not in a bus master slot, but it might
only be indicating that the chip is unhappy with the EEPROM.

> > The  MAC/station address is the 00:11:22:33:44:55 value.
> > The transceiver address is the MII address, 1-31, that the transceiver is
> > jumpered for.
>
>  I've asked the hardware designer if he know what address the transceiver is
> jumpered for. His response was "No idea" :-/

This is very easy to figure out.  Just read every MII address from 0 to 31.
With only one transceiver you don't have to decide which one is primary.