[eepro100] i82559 w/o EPROM.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:53:10 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Bjorn Eriksson wrote:

>  [I tried searching the archives first but there is no search feature
> available and I couldn't find the archives on ftp.scyld.com]
>
>  I'm trying to get the eepro100.c driver running on my embedded board. This
> board has been designed without any non-volatile memory. Now, what shall I
> do 'bout the MAC adress? Any chance this will ever work without a serial
> EPROM?

An unmodified eepro100.c driver _requires_ the EEPROM information to work
correctly.

You will have to either add the EEPROM to your design, or modify the driver
to hard-wire the transceiver and station address information.

>  [I'm using an i82559 and the internal PCI bridge on a AMD SC520 uP.]

You lose some of the i82559 features, such as wake-on-LAN, when you omit the
EEPROM.