[eepro100] system hangs @ boot-time when bringing up eth0

Wats Hudgins whudgens@hotmail.com
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:48:28 GMT

Hello.

I have a Compaq Deskpro with a 100+ card in it, and every now and then,
during a reboot of my Red Hat 6.2 system:

kernel 2.2.14-5.0
Aug 28 15:12:05 localhost kernel: eth0: OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet at
0xc8019000, 00:D0:B7:84:56:69, IRQ 11

Aug 28 15:12:05 localhost kernel: eepro100.c: $Revision: 1.18

...during a reboot of my Red Hat 6.2 system the boot hangs when my ethernet
interface is being brought up.  Not always, just about every 3-4 times.

I've spent some time browsing through the mailing list archives looking for
similar problems, but I haven't seen anything that seems to be quite the
obvious solution.

So, before posting anything to the list, I decided to try to compile and
load a newer driver.  I saw a number of helpful posts to the list by Andrey
V. Savochkin and one of them pointed me to his FTP server where there were
updated releases for the 2.2 kernel.  I found revision: 1.20.2.10 and then
tried to compile it, load it, etc.

I had loads of compile-time errors, but I think that I followed the
installation instructions correctly--

[whudgens@localhost linux]$ ls -l /usr/include/linux/version.h
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1367 Mar  7 20:42
/usr/include/linux/version.h

I have my kernel source files...etc...

I'm not much of a developer anymore (although there was a time when I spent
a lot of time coding in C), but my compiler output floods me with syntax
errors.

whudgens@localhost src]$ gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c eepro100.c `[ -f
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`
In file included from /usr/include/linux/string.h:37,
                 from eepro100.c:111:
/usr/include/asm/string.h:50: parse error before `size_t'
/usr/include/asm/string.h: In function `strncpy':
/usr/include/asm/string.h:51: number of arguments doesn't match prototype
/usr/include/linux/string.h:13: prototype declaration
/usr/include/asm/string.h:65: `src' undeclared (first u

As i recall, whenever I had parse errors from #include files, it usually
meant that I was doing something pretty foolish/stupid.

I'm really only looking to resolve my reboot hangs (and I suppose that they
could be completely unrelated to the driver, but I'm still way back on the
troubleshooting learning curve for Linux), but perhaps someone out there can
help me with that or show me the little fix for my compile errors.

Many thanx,

Watts