[eepro100] Transmitter Timeout -- addednum

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 01:49:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Kallol Biswas wrote:

> You may change the eepro100 to put a cmd NOP after you set the S bit,
> probably intel's linux driver already does it.

No, this is just extra CPU overhead and wasting two PCI bursts.

> > As I had said, stright out of the text-book DMA-oriented driver. . . but
> > I can't figure out for the life of me how the tx ring is dealt with. . .
> > I'm assuming that the data to be sent is held in the same sk_buff
> > structure ring as the recieved data, but I can't even find where the
> > tx_ring[] is set up, nor can I grep out the structure definition for
> > sk_buff. . . .

I'm referring to the v1.10/v1.11 driver below.

The tx_ring[] is constructed as needed.
The first command is added in open(), actually speedo_resume(), with a
CmdIASetup to tell the chip its Individual Addess (MAC station address).
The link to the subsequent command is always initialized as the next entry
in tx_ring[].

There is only one case where the commands do not follow the ring: adding a
multicast filter list more than 3 elements long.  There we build a large
CmdMulticastList command and link to it with a NoOp in the ring.

> > I think after I figure this all out I'm going to go out an find an
> > obscure network card that a linux driver has not been written for and
> > give it a shot from scratch :). . . .recommend any good books?

Hmmm...mmm... the few that don't have drivers also don't have
documentation.  Or are so buggy you wouldn't want to get near them.

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403