eepro 100 falling asleep?

Patrick Wagstrom patrick@lecltd.com
Fri Apr 7 12:20:47 2000

Do the eepro100 cards have a sleep feature on them?  I'm curious
because I've observed odd behavior with our servers here is the
situation.

When our servers are getting relatively low amounts of traffic or none
at all for a period of several minutes, they will be inordanately slow
to respond to the first few pings, if it all.  After a few more seconds
they come alive and work fine.

I don't think it's the systems going into a sleep mode or anything like
that becaus they are VA servers and to the best of my knowledge VA
servers don't have any powersaving features (makes sense for a server).
The boxes in question each have a dual eepro and a single eepro (3 nics
total, two cards).  They have the 82557 chip in them.

--patrick wagstrom
lec ltd
chicago illinois