eepro100...

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Apr 5 20:42:52 2000

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 lshu@draper.com wrote:
> I have a sony vaio z505hs with 82557, running redhat 6.1 with
> your eepro100 module with Andrey's modifications as of 3/2/2000.
>
> You probably have heard about the problem that after a standby/resume
> cycle, the driver ceases functioning.  If unloading/reloading module
> is attempted, the system hangs :(

You are using an version of my driver, improperly modified for the any
machine with hot-swap PCI or true ACPI-D3 suspend.

There was a reason I pushed hard in August for my PCI-scan/ACPI routines.
They handled this with a clean, designed interface not a per-driver hack.

> Andrey has forwarded to me the NetBSD fix for this.  Apparently, some
> of the pci registers for this device gets clobbered over the standby/resume
> cycle.  So the fix requires saving the clobbered registers before
> standby, and restore them after resume.

Arrrggggg.  This isn't some magic fix.  This is standard PCI 2.0 behavior.
I've had this in my code for a very long time.  Get the version at
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/index.html
  ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/

> I have done a few experiment using your pci-config program to determine
> which pci registers are clobbered.  Here is the list:
> > 1) PCI_COMMAND_STATUS

You missed a few...

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, becker@scyld.com