1.09r is now rock-steady; Multicast?

Daniel Senie dts@senie.com
Tue Sep 28 09:37:05 1999

Steve wrote:

> Dan,
>
> I've got LLBL whiteboard that I can try in multicast mode.  Keep in mind,
> my test needs for interactive multicast with ADSL modem has not peaked yet.

You don't need Mbone to trigger the multicast problems. Local multicast,
as used by OSPF (gated), NTP (xntpd) and so forth did the triggering
nicely for me.

> I understand that Alan Cox was working on multicast support for Linux.  Not
> sure what stage this is in.  I suppose one of us can go check out his
> finger for his project status.
>
> BTW, I thought the purpose of OpenSource is to do your part, pitch in, and
> enjoy the fruitation of our colloboration.  :-)

The two test systems I was using are presently in production
environments. Until I get another system in (probably a few weeks away
at least) I won't be able to help test this driver :-)

It's also an area where the chipset manufacturer (Intel) is apparently
not providing sufficient documentation, but they do claim the board
works with Linux. It will be helpful for Intel and other manufacturers
to participate. I've no problems fixing code, but it's really helpful
when complete documentation is supplied. Linux is making good inroads in
this regard, though. Momentum is a wonderful thing.