Transmit timeouts in v1.06 (v1.09l is worse??)

Mark Hagger mhagger@dera.gov.uk
Tue Sep 7 08:36:03 1999

Hi,

I've been running kernel 2.2.5 under Redhat 5.2 on a parallel cluster of
machines.  Unfortunately under high network, CPU and disk I/O load I kept
getting repeated Transmit timeouts messages from the eepro100 driver, (v1.06),
these effectively left the machine hung up and I typically had to power off to
reboot it.

I've tried replacing v1.06 with the latest version v1.09l, but if anything this
was worse, under the same conditions of load the machines now fatally crashes,
I got a kernel oops once but it didn't appear in the syslog so I wasn't able to
process it.  Other than that the machine typically locks solid (blank screen as
well sadly), and I couldn't do anything except power off.

Is anyone out there having any sucess with these eepro100 cards, I see a number
of people getting similiar problems with machines with high network traffic.

Unfortunately this is somewhat killing my parallel application, as I update my
code to get better network throughput I am able to crash/hang the machines
quicker......

Mark