Monkey boy needs help! Transmit timed out:...

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 25 02:44:15 1999

On 25 Oct 1999, Gisli Ottarsson wrote:

> to my ASUS P2B-D based machine where it worked with v1.09t, right off
> the bat.  Unfortunately, the Netgear card (Tulip) that used to live in
> on the ASUS board is now refusing to play ball in the 486.  Symptoms
> are different than with eepro100.  No timeout messages but a dead ping.

The conclusion is that the 486 system won't work well with bus-master cards.

>   1) Could the more experienced of you please tell me if you think
>      this 486 is a lost cause?  Have better men than me fought battles
>      with old PCI busses and lost?  It sounds like Gerhard did.

Try the following: load the tulip driver as a module with the parameter
   csr0=0x01a04800
If this fixes the problem, the motherboard has a burst-mode bug.

It might be possible to work around it with the eepro100 driver with the
  txdmacount=<count>
and
  rxdmacount=<count>
module parameters, but it would take some experimentation.

>  tulip.c:v0.89H 5/23/98 becker@...

Don't use this version with any modern board.

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and
USRA-CESDIS,   becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov