Monkey boy needs help! Transmit timed out:...

Gerhard Sittig Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net
Sun Oct 24 09:16:16 1999

On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 14:14 -0400, Gisli Ottarsson wrote:

> Please help me solve my eepro100 problem which I outline below.
>
> Hardware:
>
>  Doorstop 486 PCI, Intel Saturn motherboard, 16Mb RAM :-(
>  Intel 82557 EtherExpressPro100B

Did the card EVER work in this computer?  I used to have a
similar problem with an ASUS SP3 (not G!) which I reported here
almost two years ago and couldn't find any solution for.  This
machine even refused to boot as soon as any 3com PCI card was in
it (3c590, 3c900, 3c905).  With the eepro100b (82557) it booted
and the DOS diag worked great (i.e. transmitted more than one
million packets with only one error for the first packet which
established the test).  But as soon as I started to USE this
interface under Linux I got these "transmit timed out"s which
there was NO cure for.  PCI bridge optimization, multicast
filter, several driver versions, different kernel -- nothing made
the card work (I had two of them and swapped them and both are
doing great in other machines now).

There must be some bug either in the hardware of the mobo or the
BIOS (which I updated to the latest available version 2.07).
Back in 1994 I had problems, too, with the graphics board:  model
SPEA mirage (S3 864 and DRAM) made the machine go extremely slow,
model mercury (S3 964 and VRAM) worked and still workes.  The
onboard NCR scsi controller never caused any problems.

I'm sorry if that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but I felt
this is a point to clear up at first:  did you ever see the card
work in THIS environment?

virtually yours - Gerhard Sittig