Latest Versions, kern 2.2 and kern 2.3

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 5 08:35:53 1999

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Mark Hagger wrote:

> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:22:46 +0100
> From: Mark Hagger <mhagger@dera.gov.uk>
> To: linux-eepro100@beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov
> Subject: Latest Versions, kern 2.2 and kern 2.3
>
> Donald Becker wrote:
> >
> > I have made this change.
> > It should be in both the version at
> >   ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/eepro100.c
> >   http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/index.html
> > and
> >   ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/test/eepro100.c
> Am I correct in saying that the latest versions of the drivers as from above,
> are for kernel 2.3 (obviously) and is the version in the "test" directory for
> kernel 2.2 (ie not requiring the new pci scanbus code).

The "kern-2.3" version will work with any kernel version.
But you need the pci-scan.[ch] and k_compat.h support files.

The "test" version will work with all but the very latest kernel versions.
Everything you need to update is in the single driver file.

[[ Alan won't accept driver updates unless they say "2.3" and are not
directly backwards compatible, so I have to put the kernel compatibility
code in separate files.  And he still changes the drivers before putting
them into the kernel so backwards compatibility is broken.]]

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html