EtherExpress PRO/100+ PCI problems

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Mar 21 15:21:52 1999

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Steven K. Watkins wrote:

>   I am new to the mailing list (just subscribed); I am having problems
> with getting my ethernet card to work under linux.  I have an EtherExpress
> PRO/100+ PCI Adapter (from Intel)  the chip on the card is labled
> SD82558B.  The webpage at

Yup, this is a EEPro100+, it's an excellent board.

What does /proc/pci report?  It should report an Ethernet adapter.

As root do '/sbin/insmod eepro100', and then run 'dmesg'.

>   A couple of strange things (to me) that I saw during this installation
> was: 1)  I tried to use redhat's kernel configurator, but when I clicked
> "restart kerneld" I couldn't see any changes (to /etc/conf.modules).

This  line should be in /etc/conf.modules
  alias eth0 eepro100
(I tend to add it by hand, since that's faster than using the control panel.)

> I had to update conf.modules by hand as described at the above web site.

  2)
> During boot I saw a message that an unknown PCI device was found (see
> dmesg output at end of message).  The numbers after it were (121a:3).  95

Yup.  Ignore these.  It just means that /proc/pci won't have a text name for
the device.  Since the text name replaces the more precise Vendor and Device
IDs, this is a good thing.

> shows my ethernet card on IRQ3 w/ I/O range = 6600-661F and memory ranges
> E4100000-E4100FFF and E4000000-E40FFFFF.  I looked in the indicated file

You shouldn't need to know this, although IRQ3 might conflict with a serial
port.  Change it in the BIOS setup if it's a problem.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html