Networking dies when kernel recompiled?

Josh Pollak jbp4@cornell.edu
Sat Mar 20 20:09:37 1999

I'm having trouble with my ethercard and recompiling the kernel under
Debian 2.1, if anyone could help, I would truely appreciate it. I'm posting
to this list because it seems like such an esoteric question that no other
resource seems to be able to help. I originally thought it was an
SMP/eepro100 problem, but I discovered that the problem persists when I
recompile for UP also. I've described the problem below. If there is a
better list than this for this sort of question, please pardon me and could
someone point me in that direction? Thanks again!

-Josh

Problem:
	When I rebuild the kernel, the new ether driver (eepro100) works fine (As
module or in kernel, doesn't matter), and it loads correctly. But when I
run rrdhcpcd (or back on Redhat 5.1 it was just dhcpcd), I can't get an IP
address. If I type:

rrdhcpcd -d

I get:

(ioctl) SIOC<blahblah> Cannot assign requested address

but if I do ifconfig <my dhcp ip> netmask 255.255.255.0 up

I can then ping my gateway, which I assume means my ethercard isn't
retarded or non-functioning.

Things I've noticed:

1) I've tried compiling with kernel's 2.1.136 and 2.2.1, both have the same
problem.
2) The problem does not occur with the prebuilt 2.0.36 kernel that came
with Slink.
3) I have an SMP machine, with SMP on and with it off, I get the same
results, I originally thought this 	was an SMP issue, but I guess not.
4) Could this be a problem with the MTRR register option?

                        *** jbp4@cornell.edu ** 607.256.1230 ***
          ICQ: 3053699 ** 410 Stewart Ave, Ithaca New York, 14850 **