dual Intel PCI Pro100+ cards

steven@heimann.com.au steven@heimann.com.au
Sat Mar 13 15:35:22 1999

  >I have installed 2 Intel PCI Pro100+ cards (Redhat 5.2). I am using
modules. I had just 1 card in and then installed linux.

  I have exactly the same setup and after some stuffing around managed to
get it working

  > I rebooted and it recognized it as eth0 and in conf.modules it had
inserted a line
>alias eth0 eepro100
>Then I installed a second card. I added in conf.modules a second line
       >alias eth1 eepro100

Don't modify conf.modules.  Just leave it as

alias eth0 eepro100

I also tried to add the same line that you have but this would not work and
       would hang at boot

>I rebooted but eth1 was not recognized. I did ifconfig eth1 and also tried
to ping another machine on that network.

  >My question is - I would like to use modules (eepro100) for the 2 cards.
However, I read in the RedHat 5.2 >installation manual (page 303) that if 2
ethernet cards use the same driver (as mine do), you must compile a custom
>kernel with the driver built in. Is this actually tru or has anyone found
a way to avoid this by using modules?

>(Note: my understanding of trying to give lilo parameters at boot time
    such as
    >linux ether=0,0,eth0 ether=0,0,eth1
 >does not work for modules. The driver must be built in. Is this also
>correct? I tried this to no effect.)
    >Thanks, Gail Lange

 Ignore all this stuff from the manual.  copy
 /etc/sysconfig/networkscripts/ifcfg-eth0 to ifcfg-eth1.  Edit the new file
 with the new ip address etc.  Redhat will execute it automatically at boot
 and it all should work.

 Good luck

 Regards

 Steven