eepro100 performance problems

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Mon Jun 21 14:47:52 1999

Manfred Young writes:
>The 82555 does not have any auto-negotiation problems, however, as was
>stated earlier, if you force one end of the cable to full-duplex, you should
>force both ends.

Thanks to everyone who's been making suggestions.  They've been
helpful, and over the next week we're going to try some of them.  I'll
let the list know if any of them succeed.

Most of the suggestions seem to agree that we should either force both
sides, or force neither of them.  I'm assuming that it's OK to force
the card's mode using ./mii-diag -F <whatever> after the card has been
initialized.  Or is it better to use the options= setting?  Does
setting the options require that the driver be compiled as a module?
(It's compiled into the kernel at the moment, and changing to a module
is iffy because of the machine's remote status; mess it up and it gets
annoying.)

Man is a small thing, and the night is very large and full of wonders.
    -- Lord Dunsany, _The Laughter of the Gods_