Alignment errors (update)

Daniele Orlandi daniele@orlandi.com
Wed Sep 23 19:29:54 1998

James Stevens wrote:

> Hi Donald & Daniele,
>
> This sounds like the problem I reported a few weeks ago, (Tx resetting a
> lot and crashing the entire system),

Uhm... It doesn't seem to be the same problem. I get errors *ONLY* when there's
disk I/O (didn't try with other PCI traffic).

> > (Now I'm going to try to play with my BIOS settings to see if something
> > changes, I'll let you know if something happens).
>
> I'd be surprised if you can fix it like this - IMHO there is a bug in
> the driver.

It actually helped. I disabled a bunch of PCI related options and the number of
alignment errors dropped to 1/10 of the original number. I didn't isolate which
option does the trick (I don't have the time), but it's for sure related to PCI.

Bye!

--
 Daniele

Dijkstra probably hates me
(Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)
 Se telecom italia aggiungesse uno scatto al giorno ad ogni abbonato, dal
 primo Gennaio avrebbe rubato 844.583.000.000 Lire.
 Daniele Orlandi - Utility Line Italia - http://www.orlandi.com
 Via Mezzera 29/A - 20030 - Seveso (MI) - Italy