eepro100 1.0.3 patch

Mr. James W. Laferriere babydr@baby-dragons.com
Sat Oct 17 14:21:33 1998

	Hello Linus & All,

	Trying to build a kernel with the eepro100.c you sent to the
	list fails under linux-2.0.35 & alan's pre-2.0.36-14 patches.
	With :

	eepro100.c:62: asm/spinlock.h: No such file of directory

	Then cascades from there .

	I take it you are building this under 2.1.125(+your stuff) ?
	Hth

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Ok, I found at least one remaining problem with the newer eepro100
> drivers: they reset the thing _twice_. Worse, the second reset is after we
> have potentially written some specific setup, which then is lost
> completely. Search for the lines that say
>
> 	outl(0, ioaddr + SCBPort);
>
> and only the first one is any good: the others will reset the card without
> doing the proper state setup.
>
> The other problem seems to be due to the newer driver forcing a
> re-negotiation of the link, which is complete crap, because it ignores the
> options that the user has given (and that were honoured earlier at
> bootup).
>
> I suspect these two problems explain the bootup failure I saw - they
> essentially resulted in the new driver ignoring the documented way of
> forcing it into half-duplex 100Mbps (auto-negotiation doesn't seem to work
> either, but that may be due to our particular hub, and not due to the
> driver or the card).
>
> Let's see whether it is stable for me once it boots up (knock wood).
>
> Donald, please sync with me when I release a 2.1.126.
>
> 		Linus

 				, JimL
|  James W. Laferriere  -  Network  Engineer  - babydr@baby-dragons.com |
|   System Techniques   -  25416  -  22nd S.  - Des-Moines, WA  98198   |
|     Give me VMS     -or-   Give me Linux   -but-   only on AXP        |