eepro100 1.0.3 patch

Serguei Koubouchine ksi@gu.net
Sat Oct 17 02:37:45 1998

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Donald Becker wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Serguei Koubouchine wrote:
>
> > > Use
> > >   http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/test/eepro100.c
> >
> > It does work. No problems so far, everybody's happy :)) But it DOES need that
> > little patch to open() - some cards (namely ATX-2560) won't come up without
> > it. Having the patch applied, I have all the machines under my control
> > running without problems. The load is heavy, gateds running etc... Kernel
> > is 2.1.125-ac2 with the latest OOM patch.
> >
> > Please, Donald, do add those two lines to open() ...
>
> I added a corrected fix (only do the mdio_read() when the board has a MII
> transceiver!), along with the low-memory fix.
>
> v1.05 is available from
>    http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/test/eepro100.c
>
> Since this is a quick release (it has only had an hour of testing here),
> this version doesn't include the adaptive multicast filter list code that
> I've been working on.

I'd like to see it asap... Do you have any idea when it could be out?

> The mdio_read() shouldn't do anything, but I'm guessing the transceiver on
> that board version does not recover from a reset unless the control register
> is read.  The transceiver reset was added a few versions ago to recover from
> certain link partners hanging, so earlier driver versions likely did not
> encounter this problem.

You're right. The earlier drivers (0.36 etc.) did not have this problem,
however they did not allow gated to run. And yes, it's chip specific - the
newer cards with i82558 did not have this problem, only the older ones with
i82557 did.

Anyway it's a real pleasure to know that somebody does care :)) Keep up a
good work!

Serguei Koubouchine aka the Tamer < > The impossible we do immediately.
e-mail: ksi@gu.net   SK320-RIPE   < > Miracles require 24-hour notice.