eepro100 1.0.3 patch

Serguei Koubouchine ksi@gu.net
Thu Oct 15 15:59:29 1998

On 15 Oct 1998, Osma Ahvenlampi wrote:

> Serguei Koubouchine <ksi@gu.net> writes:
> > Please find the patch against 1.0.3 enclosed. I did never write ethernet
> > drivers and I do not have any documentation on those cards, but knowing about
> > that mii-diag voodoo the fix is rather obvious and I'm pretty sure I haven't
> > done anything wrong. The patched driver does work here at my place like a
> > charm with all the flavours of eepro100 cards in reach (AT-2560TX from Allied
> > Telesyn inclusive). It does not have any problems with gated-3.5.10 and
> > multicasting so far (kernel 2.1.125-ac2).
>
> I tried this and got "Transmit timed out" within 2 minutes with
> Netatalk installed. Back to multicast_filter_limit=3... Kernel version
> 2.0.35.

Dunno about 2.0.xx ... I don't have it somewhere in reach, we do use either
2.0.34 on 6 month+ up servers where the default driver does work for us,
multicasting included, or 2.1.1-almost-the-latest on lighter loaded servers
and workstations.

Anyway, this little patch does nothing to multicasting and another precious
inner parts of the driver. It does solve the problem of some eepro100 cards
with i82557 chip (the a.m. AT-2560TX among the others) turning their LEDs
off right after being ifconfiged, i.e. those which could be cured by running
mii-diag right after ifconfig.

It was the only problem we did have with 1.0.3 and 2.1.1xx kernels. We do
run gated with OSPF on every machine in mixed AIX/Solaris/Linux/Cisco7xxx
environment. And we do have a huge zoo of eepro100's of almost any
imagineable flavour...

Serguei Koubouchine aka the Tamer < > The impossible we do immediately.
e-mail: ksi@gu.net   SK320-RIPE   < > Miracles require 24-hour notice.