"Transmit timed out" with EtherExpress Pro100B

James Stevens James.Stevens@jrcs.co.uk
Tue Oct 6 12:21:06 1998

Rogier Wolff wrote:

> > It is obviuosly somthing to do with the exact way the chip has been
> > implemented in the unit I am trying to use, but I just don't know where
> > to start.
>
> No I don't think so. PCI chips, you just hook up to the PCI bus, and
> they work.

Then it must be the PCI chipset, MediaGX. Otherwise it would work
wouldn't it ?

Prehaps the CPU can't service the BUS quick enough or something ? I
haven't a clue what I'm talking about, but we have two boxes here, both
with the Intel on board, one is based on an Intel chipset with a Celery
266, the other is MediaGX P200 the former works with this driver the
latter does not. Our CPU performance tests, at runing shell script, rate
the Celery and double the MediaGX, but only 10% faster than a socket-7
Cyrix P200.

We have no Intel cards, so I can't test the driver with the Cyrix P200.
Our main concern is getting it running clean on the MediaGX box, cos its
_SO_ cute and fits what we're trying to do (put Linux into [very
serious] racing cars).

James