[Beowulf] USB flash drive bootable distro to check cluster health.

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 11 08:13:55 PST 2019

I stand by what Joe says. Good advice.

When at Viglen XMA we had a similar system for field testing and burnin.
However we did not use a USB bootable system.
We would take a complete head node on site when I first joined the company,
using Rocks Linux.
I am no far of Rocks I'm afraid - sorry Rocks guys but it just got under my
skin.

In later days we got some small form factor HP systems and I used an
OpenHPC install on them.
If you get a small form factor system with a PCI Express slot this can use
a 10Gbps or an Infiniband card so you have the correct network to PXE over.

So I would look at a portable small form factor system, using OpenHPC or
the utilities with Joe suggests.