[Beowulf] Oh.. IBM eats Red Hat

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 29 09:46:15 PDT 2018

Bob Brown! Good to see you on here again Sir!
> or get overtaken by cheeky
> youngsters who pointlessly rename something (yum -> dnf, anyone?) and
... systemd...    arrggghhh  ARRGHHHH! It is Haloween on Wednesday... guess
I should dress up as systemd, but that is far too scary,,,,

> then yank it around) and somehow manages to block CENTOS -- mixing in
> more proprietary stuff, for example so that CENTOS is basically cut off
> from the development stream of key new packages -- then the free
>software world we live in will get nastier and less stable.

SOrry, no CentOS will nto be throat choked, or will nto be if IBM sees any
sense.
Remember Karanbir Singh has a position with Redhat (maybe a board position).
I hope he got lots of stock options - and if so he owes me a beer or two
next time I see him at FOSDEM.
Remember what CentOS is - it is a clone of Redhat, which is used by those
folks who will not pring for RHEL licenses. They prefer to do their own or
community support.
CentOS is there to keep mindshare for RedHat (and now  by extension IBM).
Cut off CentOS and all those academics and supercomputer guys drift towards
Ubuntu.

And remember Ubuntu -Canonical dis not become popular amongst the hip cloud
kids and the biotechnology types because of word of mouth from someone with
a big beard and artisan coffee. Ubuntu was carefully marketed and propoted
to appeal to the cloud community - and we now see the results.
I vouch that many cool kids dont even know there IS another Linux.

SO back to CentOS - it costs virutlaly nothing to Redhat to make it
available - and they types who use it aint gonna suddenly start springing
for RHEL licenses, so they lose nothing but gain loads by having it
available.

AS an aside, I Was discussing RHEL on two big clusters with my friends
regarding IBM. Redshat used to have an HPC license which was equivalent to
Redhat desktop. SO if you had thousands of nodes ti was nto TOO expensive.
IS that HPC License still in operation?