[Beowulf] Poll - Directory implementation

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Wed Oct 24 12:44:14 PDT 2018

On 10/24/2018 01:30 PM, Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> On 10/24/2018 01:13 PM, Michael Di Domenico wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 1:04 PM Ryan Novosielski
>> <novosirj at rutgers.edu> wrote:
>>> Funny, we are considering the exact opposite, and this is our
>>> motivation:
>>>
>>> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/2440481
>> we're contemplating the same, but we're okay with switching back
>> to the openldap source.  in my opinion redhat deprecating openldap
>> is just a money grab to push people towards rhds
> I don't have an alternate theory, but 389-ds is free, and I guess I
> imagined "comparable." I suppose if it's not as capable as OpenLDAP
> and RHDS is, that would make sense. But maybe they just want to push
> people toward something where there's an easy path?
>
> People saying that 389-ds is slow is not encouraging, given that we're
> currently attempting to tune OpenLDAP to be less slow.

What version of OpenLDAP are you using? I was on the OpenLDAP mailing
list not that long ago,  and the developers were tooting their own horns
about how *fast* OpenLDAP was. However, I think those features that
boost performance are in newer versions of OpenLDAP that are not
included in RHEL yet. I'm using the version of OpenLDAP that comes with
RHEL myself, so I can't confirm any claims. If performance is an issue,
I'd get the latest version and compare that to whatever you're using now.

Prentice